book review: Doodle Diary of a New Mom by Lucy Scott

The basics: As the title indicates, Doodle Diary of a New Mom is a book of single-pane comics about the first year of motherhood.

My thoughts: Hawthorne turned one yesterday(!) I picked this book up at the library awhile ago after hearing about, and while I don't have a lot of things to say, I do have a few. This book wasn't quite what I expected, but that isn't the book's fault. I expected it to be more of a memoir than it was. In hindsight, I don't know why.

This book is a ridiculously quick read. I read it from cover to cover in about half an hour. Each page is a single illustration with a caption. Some are hilarious. Some are almost tragic. Some aligned with my experience so perfectly I want to frame them. Some were so different from I experience I marveled at how different motherhood is for everyone.

The verdict: Doodle Diary of a New Mom is an entertaining collection of comics. I would have enjoyed more exposition and reflection, but I think new moms struggling to find any time to read or do anything for themselves would enjoy this quick read.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 128 pages
Publication date: April 7, 2015
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Doodle Diary of a New Mom from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Lucy Scott's website, like her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I find that, with some exceptions, that is my usual experience with books about parenting. I usually relate to some aspects, but not the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson