book review: Last Night's Reading by Kate Gavino

Need a last minute holiday gift for a bookish friend or family member? I suggest Last Night's Reading!

The backstory: I've enjoyed Kate Gavino's Tumblr, Last Night's Reading, for years. Warning: if you don't live in New York but love books and authors, it will inspire an extraordinary amount of envy.

The basics: Artist Kate Gavino lives in New York City and goes to a lot of book readings, festivals, and author events. While there, she draws the author and adds a memorable quote from the event.

My thoughts: Gavino's drawings are deceptively simple. She does each one in a single color in what appears to be marker. But the quality of the drawings are amazing. Seriously: scroll through her Tumblr and find an author you know. Amazing, right? Her choice of quotes and emphasis turns her work into something quite powerful.

The verdict: I first read this book in a single sitting and was wowed, but it's also a great book to give (or receive) as a gift, because I'll want to refer to many of these quotes for year's to come. I'm not one who keeps many books after I finish them or wishes for copies of library books, but with this one, I am.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Length: 160 pages
Publication date: October 27, 2015
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Last Night's Reading from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Kate Gavino's website, like her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson