Sunday Salon: I'm still pregnant, but the Booker longlist is out

I confess: I am really hoping (and was really believing) the nomadbaby would make his appearance today. 27 is a special number in this family. Mr. Nomadreader and I were both born on the 27th (of September and August respectively.) We started dating on February (2/7). How perfect would it be for the nomadbaby to join us on the 27th? If the first half of my day is any indication: it would be too perfect to be true, despite my vigorous rubbing of key acupuncture points used to jump start labor. I strategically started around 4 p.m. yesterday, and all I have to show for it are some very sore pressure points. Alas, I am resigning myself to still being pregnant when this day is done (and yes, the nomadbaby isn't actually due until next week, but a very pregnant lady sure can dream.)

In the absence of having a baby today, I'm spending it reading, and I seemed to have once again found my reading groove. I started digging into the Booker longlist last week. This year I'm making no predictions about how many I'll get to before the winner is announced on October 14th because I have a horrible track record of coming close but never actually finishing the longlist and I'm having a baby any day now, so short term lofty goals of any sort seem to be a bad idea. But I'm really excited the award is now open to American authors. I hadn't read any of the longlist when it was announced Wednesday morning, but I have since devoured We Are Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler, which is the best book I've read so far this year. I'm still formulating my thoughts on it, but I hope to have enough coherent things to say about it to post a review sometime this week. If the rest of the longlist holds more gems, we're all in for a treat this year. While I'm processing the brilliance of We Are Completely Beside Ourselves, I'm diverting from the longlist to read another Michael Connelly, The Reversal, which I am, of course, loving. I haven't decided which Booker title to read next, but I'm leaning toward The Blazing World, which I've been meaning to read for months, To Rise Again at a Decent Hour (ditto), or The Dog. 

I'm also hoping to get caught up on unwritten reviews so the blog stays active during the first few days and weeks the nomadbaby is around. Of course, I hope to break in with news of his birth sooner rather than later, but in the meantime...I'll be reading and sleeping as much as I can! Happy reading to you!

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. These babies. They come when they want to. LOL. Makes it difficult for us planners to get anything done.
    I wish you all the luck in the world. Getting some extra sleep is a good idea if you can swing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson