book review: Halfway Home by Christine Mari Inzer

The basics: Halfway Home is a graphic journal of Christine Mari Inzer's trip to Japan, the country where she was born.

My thoughts: I'm a huge fan of travel writing, so I was eager to read Halfway Home, the debut from Christine Mari Inzer, a teenage graphic memoirist. Inzer was born in Tokyo in 1997. Her family moved to the U.S. in 2003. In the summer she turned sixteen, she returned to Japan by herself to visit family and explore her roots.

Halfway Home transported me to Japan along with Inzer. It made me feel sixteen again, in the sense that she captures the good and the bad parts of being that age. Inzer's trip to Japan is unique, in that she is exploring both by herself and with family. As she explores alone, however, she also has advice from her father about where to go and what to see.

Like so many travel journals, food is a big part of Halfway Home, and I quite enjoyed Inzer's depictions and descriptions of her meals. As I read her travel journal, I felt as though I were on the trip with her.

The verdict: Inzer is a bright, young, graphic storyteller. Her art depicted her trip beautifully, and as a travel journal it succeeds. If it has a fault it's that I wish Inzer would have added in more reflection, and I hope she does so in future work.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 102 pages
Publication date: November 13, 2014
Source: publisher

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Halfway Home from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Christine Mari Inzer's website.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I have to look for this one - it sounds great! My graphic book reading has slowed down considerably but I would like to pick that back up again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson