audiobook review: Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

narrated by Mindy Kaling

The backstory: I thoroughly enjoyed Mindy Kaling's first memoir, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), so I was eager to listen to her new memoir too.

The basics: Why Not Me? is a memoir in essay form.

My thoughts: I picked up Kaling's first book on a whim while I was pregnant and mostly in the mood for something not depressing to listen to. I loved it and immediately started watching The Mindy Project (we still watch it.) This time, I had expectations and also fears. Would Why Not Me? be as good (it is.) The two books are obviously similar, but they felt different to me. Why Not Me? feels less like a memoir and more like a collection of essays, many of which are memoir-like.

Perhaps what I liked best about this book is how surprising it is. I find Mindy Kaling to be laugh out loud funny. We have similar senses of humor, and this book definitely made me laugh out loud. What surprised me were the moments of deep contemplation and insight. Kaling effortlessly weaves insights with humor, but she isn't afraid to just be serious and thoughtful sometimes, and I appreciate that. She's also not afraid to just be silly sometimes.

I loved almost everything about this book. My annoyance: Kaling more than once maligns reading and brags about not having read a book since college. Maybe she's kidding, but if it's not clear, and you're bold enough to write a second book, why say it?

The verdict: Why Not Me? is an entertaining book that made me laugh and made me think. Kaling's narration once again shines. It's smart, funny, wise, and surprisingly poignant--all while making me laugh.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Length: 4 hours 57 minutes (240 pages)
Publication date: September 15, 2015
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Why Not Me? from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Mindy Kaling's website, like her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter and Instagram

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Hi there, looks like a fab book! It would be great if you added your review to the Books You Loved: October collection over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson